Since Revolutionary Days we have had various wars. We have been called on to defend our freedoms, our liberties, and our great nation. Each and every time brave men and woman fought in these wars. Many of them later made up our American Legion which is composed of men and woman who have served in the Armed Forces of the Unites States of America.
We are proud of American Legion Post 49 located in Wilmington, Ohio. In honor of all members, living and deceased, who have formed the heritage given us by the American Legion, we list here a brief history of Post 49:
Post 49 received a temporary charter in 1919 and was OFFICIALLY CHARTERED on November 23, 1923. Harry A. Metzger was a predominant factor in getting the post organized locally and William H. Robinson, deceased county auditor, served as the First Commander.
The first post home was over the G. M. Rice Furniture Store on West Main Street. It later moved from there to the old Dayton Power and Light office. Due to the gasoline shortage Post 49, with the backing of H.A. Barrett, purchased the Charles Bosworth place on East Locust Street in 1946 for its new home. They remained in that home until 1968 when the present building was built. The old Bosworth home was torn down to make room for the current parking lot at Post 49. The new building was paid off on March 16, 1975 by membership donations and the grateful citizens of Wilmington, Ohio. The ashes of the mortgage are on display in the trophy case at the Post.
Post 49 began with a few members in 1923. It peaked it's highest membership in 1975 with 675 names on the rolls.
In accordance with the American Legion constitution "To inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state, and nation..." Post 49 sponsors the following programs to help benifit the community: Americanism, Buckeye Boys State, Gifts for Yanks, Flag Etiquette, and many more. Post 49 also sponsors an outstanding Memorial Squad to honor our brothers and sisters that leave this great nation to rest with the Almighty God.